Monday, March 6, 2017

03/06/2017 - Missionary Opportunities Are Really Everywhere and Can Be From Anyone

So hello everyone! I decided to not wait until I was almost out of time to write this so I have a little more to say. To start I think I'll keep sharing a couple funny things about Canada, because this place is pretty different than the states. So two things I thought were funny. The first, here in Canada pedestrians have the right of way. No matter what. So they have all these cross walks where you press a button and just walk into the street. It's kinda freaky, every time I have done it I always think I could potentially be sent to the celestial kingdom. The other thing was what I found in the hymn books. First off in all the hymn books at the church they have the star spangled banner, because they are from the states. But here in Canada they glued “O Canada” in the back. Like straight up they just glued their national anthem in the back. It's super funny.

So this week was a pretty good one, we had the car, which was nice, but conveniently it was also warm. We always get the car when it is warm and walk when it is freezing. But this week we made it our goal to meet with as many members as we could and try to get them engaged in member missionary work, because that is where the most success is.
So we invited nearly the whole ward to this missionary plan we had created. But we also invited anyone who had had a missionary experience to bear their testimony about it and missionary work. So when they opened the time Sunday for testimonies, like 5 or 6 people stormed the pulpit and all bore testimony about missionary work. And even other people after the people we invited also shared about missionary work. It was super cool and the spirit was so strong. It honestly got me super excited to get back out there and work. But I just hope hearing it from members will get the rest of the ward engaged and looking for opportunities to share. I hope it gets contagious because there is so much joy in sharing the gospel.

Another cool experience we had was we were visiting with Brother Higa, our Elders quorum president. And let me tell you about Brother Higa, he is the man, literally every lesson we have ever needed his help with he comes. Also, he is starting a cleaning business, so all day he listens to conference talks as he cleans people’s homes, so he is always feeling the spirit. Anyway, while visiting with his family and inviting him to share his testimony a man comes to the door from some power company. So Brother Higa invites him to listen to a quick message from the missionaries. And he did. We bore our testimonies and gave him a book of mormon and invited him to read it. And he was super excited to read it! We exchanged phone numbers, and we are going to check back and see how he is doing. It was cool. The only problem was the guy doesn't live in our area, for some odd reason we are really good at finding people to teach for everyone else in the mission except ourselves. But it did help me realize that missionary opportunities are really everywhere and can be from anyone. And I know that our first purpose as a missionary is to invite others to come unto Christ (repent), and as long as we do this we will have success.

This week we also had interviews with President Miles. And I know that he is called of God, he was sent here to Calgary because it is where the lord needed him, and same goes for me. I am here because the lord needed me to share his gospel in this part of the world. And I am so grateful for the opportunity to share. I love this gospel and everyone. I know that our savior lives. I started to read Jesus the Christ, and brothers and sisters, there is no word to describe the amount of love Christ has for us. To go through everything, literally everything, for us is something so powerful, I can't even imagine. I can only try and be like him, and love everyone. And can only try and share his message. 

Elder Ollis

No comments:

Post a Comment