Tuesday, November 21, 2017

11/21/2017 - What A Commitment...

Hello everyone. Another week done and time continues to pick up speed. Why does time do that? (I actually know the answer to that, but I just won't go on a tangent) But anyway, not too much noteworthy to share, so I will share two experiences. One of them is mine and one is not. I was just pumped for the other missionaries and they are in my district so I am sort of responsible for them.

First one. This week was Zone conference and we had a General Authority there, Elder Nattress of the Seventy. It was super awesome, such a good zone conference. It was especially cool because we talked about two things, family history and the new Light The World initiative. And me and Elder Woltron were inspired, because we had previously felt that we really needed to start using both of them. We had made plans and were already beginning to use these two things in our area. But anyway. We were all able to shake hands with Elder Nattress before it began and each time he would ask the missionary where they are from and say thanks for serving. Well when I got up there he looked at my name and said Elder Ollis (and he pronounced it correctly) and asked of course where I am from. I told him I am from taylorsville Utah and he asked if my father served a mission. Of course I said yes, and he asked where. Sacramento was the answer and he said he did too. He remembered my father from his mission. They served the same time! It was super cool, and such an awesome experience. I talked to him after the zone conference and he was able to share some of the areas he served, and I told him we were able to attend the temple dedication. It was a super cool experience and he was very complementary of “The Older Elder Ollis” and he told me to say hello. And, I wanted to share this as it was Dad's birthday this past week! Happy birthday! 

11/11/2017 - Proof for his mother that he is ready to
"bring on winter" and -40 degrees!
The other experience was a cool one our district had. Another set of Elders picked up a new investigator and put him on date. They weren't able to get him baptized and so they had to push it back so they asked him to pray for the date. Dec 9 is when their investigator felt it should happen. A lot sooner than the elders wanted or expected, but they decided to make it happen. So they didn't bother to dodge it anymore and taught the word of wisdom to him. He loves his coffee, just bought a new coffee maker, and loves smoking and ice tea. So he agreed. Dumped his cigarettes in the toilet, and his coffee, dumped out all his ice tea and sold his coffee maker. What a commitment for someone who wants it! Love you all!  Elder Ollis

In an Email to his parents:  …We do come from good stock. On both sides. We met with a family history consultant this week because we are trying to connect family history to missionary work. Get this, if an investigator gets baptized and takes their own family names to the temple within 2 months, their activity rate sky rockets to 90%, whereas without that experience it is only 20%. Pretty incredible! But anyway, what I found out is on mom’s side we are related to John Tanner.  He had three wives and we are from his second wife. Do you know who he is?  He is basically responsible for the Kirtland Temple and he saved it. So his story is that he was about to die because of a diseased leg, so he met the missionaries, and was healed.  So he gives basically everything to the church. He was VERY wealthy and saved the Kirtland temple.  It is a super good story. Joseph Smith called him Father Tanner. Another great example of commitment and faith!

The church made a movie about him and we watch it all the time because it is for investigators.  It’s called: Treasure in Heaven: The John Tanner Story. It is on the D&C Videos with the restoration movie, only a stonecutter and mountain of the lord.  Or I’m sure you can find it on lds.org or youtube. It’s a great movie!

You can find it at the link below:
Treasure in Heaven: The John Tanner Story

No comments:

Post a Comment